Three Minute Thesis Competition
What is 3MT®?
2019 is the first year the University of Kansas will participate in 3MT®. The goals of the competition are to (1) highlight the excellent research conducted by graduate students and (2) improve graduate students’ communication of research to non-specialist and non-academic audiences. The judges of the competition are educated professionals in a variety of positions in corporate, government, and non-profit industries.
2019 KU 3MT®
Participating students will first compete in preliminary Heats on Feb. 18; top presenters from the Heats round will be selected by judges to compete in the Finals round on Feb. 28. In the Finals, judges will select the first place winner ($500) and second place winner ($250), and a People's Choice award winner ($125) will be selected by the audience. The first place presenter will represent KU at the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) 3MT® Competition in March 20-22, with travel, lodging, and other expenses paid for by the Office of Graduate Studies.
Application Deadline: January 31, 5:00 pm
Presentation Slide Deadline: February 7, 5:00 pm
KU 3MT® Heats: February 18, 5:30 – 7:30 pm, Forum AB of Burge Union
KU 3MT® Finals: February 28, 6:00 – 7:00 pm, Forum AB of Burge Union
MAGS 3MT®: March 20-22, St. Louis, Missouri
Eligibility to Participate
• A student’s graduate program need not require a thesis or dissertation.
• A student’s 3MT® presentation topic must cover an original research project that is being conducted as part of the student's graduate program.
• Students may not give a presentation on research completed as an undergraduate or research completed at another institution.
• Students are not required to have reached a particular stage in their research, but those who have achieved significant progress in their research are likely to be more competitive.
• If presenting research that includes sensitive or proprietary information, students should seek approval from their advisor or principal investigator before applying to participate in the competition.
Presentation Rules and Requirements
• No slide transitions, animations, or movement of any kind of the slide content are permitted.
• No additional electronic media are permitted (e.g. sound and video files).
• No additional props are permitted. (e.g. notecards, scripts, pointers, costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment)
• Presentations are to be spoken word only; no poems, raps, or songs are permitted.
• Presentations are live and in-person; no pre-recorded or remotely transmitted presentations are permitted (e.g. Skype or Facetime).
• Presentations are to commence from the stage.
• Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter begins through movement or speech.
• Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
• No questions, comments, or conversations are allowed between presenting students, judges, and the audience, whether before, during, or after the student’s presentation. (Applause is welcome, though!)
• Presentations are evaluated by the Presentation Judging Criteria
• The decisions of the judges are final and not negotiable.
Application to Participate
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019, 5:00pm CST. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
Presentation Slide Submission: After the application deadline you will be provided a link to a presentation slide submission form. You must submit your PowerPoint slide by February 7, 2019, 5:00pm CST. Slides will not be accepted after this deadline. If you do not submit your slide by the deadline, you will be withdrawn from the competition.
Sigma Xi will provide free membership to their society to the top presenters in the Heats whose research is in the social sciences, natural sciences, and engineering.
1st place - $500 award and serve as KU’s representative at the MAGS 3MT® competition, March 20-22 (travel, lodging, and other expenses paid for by Graduate Studies)
2nd place - $250 award
People’s Choice - $125 award
First and second place is determined by the judges. Judges are educated professionals in a variety of positions in corporate, government, and non-profit industries. The presentation that receives the most votes from the audience will be selected as the People's Choice award winner. The People's Choice award winner may also be selected by the judges as their first or second place winner.
NOTE: 3MT® is the legal property of the University of Queensland and KU has signed an agreement to follow the rules and requirements for the competition. Deviating from the rules and requirements disqualifies KU from holding a 3MT® competition and disqualifies KU students from competing in other 3MT® competitions.
Sponsorship: KU 3MT® is sponsored by the Office of Graduate Studies and the KU Society of Sigma Xi.
Do You Have Questions?: Please contact the KU Three Minute Thesis Competition administrator, Damon Talbott, Program Coordinator in the Office of Graduate Studies.