The Office of Graduate Studies has established the Graduate Student Emergency Fund. This fund, managed through Kansas University Endowment Association (KUEA), exists to provide financial assistance to students who have an immediate unexpected expense due to circumstances beyond their control. The unexpected expense can be of an emergency or an unplanned non-discretionary expense. Funding is usually in amounts of $500 or less.
Guidelines and Eligibility
- Students should be in good standing with the University.
- Students may receive assistance once in an academic year.
- Awards are not considered loans and do not require repayment. Funds are considered income and are therefore subject to federal taxes.
Types of Expenses Covered
- Books and school supplies (if purchased through KU Bookstore)
- Replacement of belongings lost in a fire or natural disaster
- Safety related needs (i.e. changing locks, short term emergency shelter)
- Medical bills due to an emergency
- Outstanding balances to KU, except tuition.
Please be aware that the following expenses are not considered unexpected and thus, are typically not funded.
- Computer replacement
- Child care
- Rent and utilities
However, extenuating circumstances are reviewed with all applications and these items could be funded if they are associated with an immediate unexpected expense due to circumstances beyond the student's control.
To apply please complete the application here.
If you would like to contribute to KU graduate students please follow this link to the KU Endowment website.