Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards
Graduate Studies invites nominations for the Chancellor, Carlin, and Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards to recognize excellence in teaching by graduate students at the University of Kansas. Awardees receive monetary prizes and will be recognized on the Graduate Studies website. We thank the Chancellor, the KU Endowment Association, and Diana Carlin for generously providing funding for these awards.
The top ranked master’s and doctoral award winners will also be nominated for the MAGS Excellence in Teaching Award to represent the University of Kansas at the regional level.
*The nomination criteria and deadline have been moved to the fall semester, to allow nominators more time to collect the required or optional materials for nomination. Starting this year, nomination materials will include the addition of an optional 10-minute (maximum) teaching-in-action video to allow top awardees to be noinated for the regional teaching award at MAGS in January 2021. Note: All current ongoing graduate students and students who will graduate in the Class of 2020 (summer 2019, fall 2019, and spring 2020) are eligible for this award.
The Nomination Deadline is October 14, 2020. Nominations must be submitted using the online form.
Each nominee must be a graduate student:
- in good academic standing during the semester of teaching for which they are nominated; and
- has completed at least one semester of teaching.
Nomination & Selection Process
GTA Awards are given to graduate students who have demonstrated outstanding professional interaction with students and faculty during while working as a GTA. Excellence in teaching should be demonstrated in course evaluations, written comments from students and faculty, and evident from their teaching in action video. Nominees will be evaluated on these criteria:
- Strength of the letters of recommendation from faculty and/or students
- Strength of the student evaluations (both quantitative and qualitative)
- Depth and level of teaching experience
- The nominee’s statement of teaching philosophy
- Specific qualities that distinguish the nominee from other good teachers
- Optional 10-minute (maximum) video recording of the nominee teaching in action. Detailed instructions for creating a video and link can be found here.
Nominations are reviewed and awarded in fall by members of the Executive Council of Graduate Faculty. Each department may nominate up to two (2) students teaching assistants. Nominations must be submitted by midnight on October 14th using the online nomination form. Nominators will receive a system confirmation that their nomination was successfully submitted upon completion of the online form. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
While the time required to process award decisions will depend upon the number of applications received, we aim to notify all nominees via email by early November 2020.
Administration of the Award
- Awardees will receive a $1,000 Scholarship in fall.
- Top Awardees with a video (currently required by MAGS) will be nominated for the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) Excellence in Teaching Award in January 2021.
- Awardees will have the opportunity to have a professional photo taken and be highlighted on the KU Graduate Studies website.
Contact Graduate Studies at email@example.com if you have questions about this award.