Before Coming to KU
Below are aspects of graduate school that you need to consider before beginning your studies at KU. More resources on a wide range of academic and personal matters can also be found on the Student Resources page.
- Graduate student health, dental, and vision insurance is offered by KU through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. International graduate students should consult the International Support Services insurance webpage.
- Watkins Memorial Health Center offers both walk-ins and appointment-based services. Please review the following welcome letter and complete the required forms before you start classes.
- The Student Recreation Center is free to students who pay their student fees. Visit the KU Recreation Services website.
- The University of Kansas is dedicated to providing every student with the tools to be successful. The Academic Achievement and Access Center offers many services and programs to assist students with any needs they have, and to enhance their collegiate experience at KU. Students should also consult the Access Handbook and the Accessible KU website.
- For off campus housing, please see the following websites:
- Bus service is provided from morning to night by KU on Wheels and by the Lawrence public transit system.
- KU SafeRide and SafeBus provide transportation in the late night hours after KU on Wheels and Lawrence Transit end service.
- For commuting to campus by bicycle, check out the resources provided by Bike KU. For riding around town, see the city of Lawrence's Information for Bicyclists and Bicycle Map.
- To park a motor vehicle on campus you will need a permit from KU Parking and a Parking Map.
- If you are taking classes at the KU Edwards Campus, the JO Transit Service offers the K-10 Connector bus to travel there and return to Lawrence.
- Students who were accepted into KU while still completing a degree program will need to provide final transcripts that show the conferral of a degree. Failure to provide a final, degree conferring transcript will result in an enrollment hold in subsequent semesters. More information is available on the transcripts section of the application process website.
- Make sure you have completed, signed, and sent any KU contracts including letters of acceptance, teaching or research assistant contracts, and any other paperwork required by your department. For more information about contracts and other required paperwork, contact your academic department.
- International students should also contact International Support Services (ISS) to find out more about ISS requirements, services, and mandatory orientation.
- Information on tuition and fees for graduate students is available here.
- Make sure you check the Financial Aid website for general student funding information, including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, scholarships, loans, and other forms of financial assistance.
- Information on funding that you apply for is on the funding website for the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Financial Information for international students is available in the International Support Services' Pre-Arrival Guide and the International Student Services' Plan for Finances webpage.