Before Coming to KU

Below are aspects of graduate school that you need to consider before beginning your studies at KU. More resources on a wide range of academic and personal matters can also be found on the Student Resources page.

If you are an international student, please follow the information provided by International Student Services.

Driving Directions to KU are available here.

Information on ground transportation from the Kansas City International Airport is available here.

Graduate student health insurance is offered by KU through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. International graduate students should consult the International Student Services insurance webpage.

Dental and vision insurance are also offered by KU through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. Please note that, unlike health insurance, dental and vision insurance is only available on an annual basis and you must sign up within the first 45 days of the insurance policy's effective date, August 1st.

Please review the following welcome letter from Watkins Health Services:

Welcome Letter from Watkins Health Services

You will be asked to provide your vaccination records to Watkins Health Center. To provide your mandatory vaccination records to Watkins Memorial Health Center, learn about and then complete the Health History Form and Immunization Screening History Form. Failure to provide your records will prevent you from enrolling for subsequent semesters. For more information, or if you need vaccinations, please contact the Watkins Health Center.

The Student Recreation Center is free to students who pay their student fees. Visit the  KU Recreation Services website.

The University is requiring all newly-enrolled, degree seeking students on the Lawrence campus under the age of 21 as of August 1st of the academic year to complete an online alcohol education course. Full information about this course is available here.

Student Access Services, part of the Academic Achievement & Access Center, works with all units at the University to insure that every student has an equal opportunity to succeed at KU. We are here to help you whether your disability is physical, medical, sensory, psychological, or related to attention or learning.

The Academic Achievement and Access Center offers many services and programs to assist students in their academic success and to enhance their collegiate experience at KU. Students should also consult the Access Handbook and the Accessible KU website.

For off campus housing, please see the following websites:

Craig's List for Lawrence - All Housing Apartments

For on campus housing, KU Housing has Jayhawker Towers which offers apartments with all utilities paid, plus optional time-saving meal plans

Bus service is provided from morning to night by KU on Wheels and by the Lawrence public transit system.

KU SafeRide and SafeBus provide transportation in the late night hours after KU on Wheels and Lawrence Transit end service.

For commuting to campus by bicycle, check out the resources provided by Bike KU. For riding around town, see the city of Lawrence's Information for Bicyclists and Bicycle Map.

For information on licenses, registrations, and use of a motor vehicle in the city of Lawrence and the state of Kansas, consult the Douglas County Treasurer and the Kansas Department of Revenue.

To park a motor vehicle on campus you will need a permit from KU Parking and a Parking Map.

If you are taking classes at the KU Edwards Campus, the JO Transit Service offers the K-10 Connector bus to travel there and return to Lawrence.

Train service to and from Lawrence is offered by Amtrak.

For transportation to the Kansas City International Airport (airport code: MCI), see this list of airport transportation options.

Students who were accepted into KU while still completing a degree program will need to provide final transcripts that show the conferral of a degree. Failure to provide a final, degree conferring transcript will result in an enrollment hold in subsequent semesters. More information is available on the transcripts section of the application process website.

Make sure you have completed, signed, and sent any KU contracts including letters of acceptance, teaching or research assistant contracts, and any other paperwork required by your department. For more information about contracts and other required paperwork, contact your academic department.

International students should also contact International Student Services (ISS) to find out more about ISS requirements, services, and mandatory orientation.

Make sure you check the Financial Aid website for general student funding information, including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, scholarships, loans, and other forms of financial assistance.

Information on funding that you apply for is on the funding website for the Office of Graduate Studies.

Information on tuition and fees for graduate students is available here.

Financial Information for international students is available in the International Student Services' Pre-Arrival Guide and the International Student Services' Plan for Finances webpage.

If you are traveling abroad, make sure you have a passport. Passport Services by International Programs can assist with this process.

All domestic students, and many international students, will need a Social Security Number for a variety of purposes.

International students must obtain a visa; for information see International Student Services.

Make sure you have an updated C.V. (Curriculum Vitae) and/or resume available, you will use it for both academic and career opportunities.

RT @ku _fnsa: Don’t forget. We are having lunch today... thanks to @pepsi at KU.

Dean's Message

KU Safety

KU Safety

The first studio art class at KU began in 1869
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today