Information for International Applicants

The online application will ask you a series of questions to help us determine whether the university would qualify you as a domestic applicant or an international applicant. Please note there is one application that will adapt based on your answers to your questions; you do not need to try to locate a domestic application or an international application, as there is only one application for all graduate programs.

The university will qualify you as an international applicant if:

  • You are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and live outside the U.S.
  • You are an international student at another US institution and you are currently in F-1 status (including OPT) or J-1 status (including Academic Training)
  • You are currently on an H1B visa
  • You are currently on a dependent visa (for example F-2, J-2, or H-4)

Click here for more information about visas.

If you are admitted to a program, you will be required to submit proof of finances. Proof of finances are not required to considered for admission.

Transcript Information

Application Requirement

For processing purposes, you may attach scanned versions of official transcripts to your application, as well as a copy of your degree certificate and/or diploma if the degree has been earned outside the US. A printout from a student portal is NOT considered an official copy. 

NOTE: Documents uploaded with your application are not considered official. KU does not consider transcripts that come from applicants or that have been in the applicant's possession as official.

Some departments require official transcripts at the time of application. Check the admissions requirements for your program.

Transcripts that are in a language other than English must be accompanied with English translations.

Enrollment Requirement

If you are admitted to a program, and accept the admissions offer, you will be required to submit an official, final transcript for GPA and degree conferral verification by your second semester of enrollment. This is required before you will be permitted to enroll for your second semester. The transcript submission process varies; please see the instructions below for degrees earned in the United States and for degrees earned from outside the United States.

For degrees earned in the United States: Graduate Admissions must receive your official, final transcript/s to be sent directly from your institution in a sealed envelope or through an electronic delivery service. The official, final transcript/s must show that the degree has been conferred. There are no exceptions. Transcripts should be sent to:

Graduate Admissions
University of Kansas
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Strong Hall Rm 313
Lawrence, KS 66045-7535

If institutions offer a secure electronic transcript delivery service, you may have transcripts sent to

For degrees earned outside the United States: Final transcripts showing degree conferral and degree certificates/diplomas must be certified through Certifile. Certifile is a process through which official academic records will be verified. If you are offered admission, instructions will be provided about how to initate the Certifile process. Certifile will share the verification directly with Graduate Admissions. Once the Certifile process is complete, you will be able to view, share and/or download your verified digital academic credentials at any time for use at other institutions, as needed (i.e. a future employer).

NOTE: Certifile will provide you a couple of different options for how your documents will be reviewed. KU will only require the verification ($125 fee), but you are welcome to choose another option if you would like to keep a copy for your personal use.

English Proficiency for Admission

The following are acceptable means for verifying English proficiency for purposes of admitting non-native English speakers to graduate study:

Graduation with a baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned in residence from an accredited English-medium U.S. college or university or a college or university in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, English-speaking province of Canada, or an English-speaking Caribbean country, with instruction conducted in English. Degrees earned online may not be used to verify English proficiency.

Official scores from an English proficiency standardized test (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS-Academic, or PTE), sent by the testing agency to the University of Kansas. Official scores must be less than two years old.

More information about the English proficiency requirement can be found here

Official documents, including transcripts and test scores, will become part of the application record and will not be released to applicants, admitted students or any third party. 

RT @KUCLASProfDev : The early bird gets the bigger worm! In this case, the bird is you reading this and the worm is your šŸ”„ thesis/dissertatiā€¦

Dean's Message

KU Safety

KU Safety

The first studio art class at KU began in 1869
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today