Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA), Graduate Research Assistant (GTA), and Graduate Assistant (GA) positions are administered by individual graduate programs. Ask your graduate program about these opportunities and scan the Jobs at KU listings for opportunities outside of your graduate program.
New GTA Orientation: Mandatory for all New GTAs
Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) play an integral role at KU. All new GTAs must complete a mandatory New GTA Orientation offered by the Center for Teaching Excellence or an approved alternative New GTA Orientation offered by their hiring department. Please review the several pages on this site for more information about training, to find requirements and forms related to your appointment, and to locate resources useful to GTAs in working with students.
All first-time GTAs must complete all components of the New GTA Orientation during their first semester of teaching. This orientation consists of three components:
- About Teaching: The New GTA Conference
- New GTAs must attend this all-day, in-person pedagogical conference.
- Date: Tuesday the 15th of January 2019
- Time: 8:00 am to 3:00 pm -- Attendance at all sessions is mandatory and recorded.
- Location: Register at 8:00 am at the northwest entrance of Budig Hall.
- Online Tutorial through Blackboard:
- All new GTAs will receive information from their departments about how to access the Online Tutorial.
- All new GTAs must complete the online tutorial, regardless of where they attend the in-person orientation (CTE Conference or approved departmental orientation).
- Questions about access or the content of the questions should be directed to Judy Eddy.
- New GTAs must achieve a score of 100% on the tutorial no later than the 16th of January.
- In-person Follow-Up Session hosted at the Center for Teaching Excellence:
- New GTAs must register to attend the session of their choice.
- Registration is handled through Blackboard. New GTAs will get more information about how to access the sign-ups during the all-day conference.
- New GTAs must register for a session during the first couple of weeks of the semester. Sessions will be held in mid-February and early-March.
Alternative New GTA Orientations
New GTAs in the departments of Communication Studies, French & Italian, English, and Geology complete the online tutorial above but attend an approved alternative, in-person orientation provided by their department instead of the conference and follow-up session offered by the Center for Teaching Excellence. GTAs in all other departments must complete all three requirements described above in addition to any departmental training sessions required by their hiring departments. In either case, students must complete their mandatory training by the end of their second full month of working as GTAs.
As is indicated in the Memorandum of Agreement between the University, GTAs, and AFT, the orientation requirement cannot be waived. However, in extraordinary circumstances, the Office of Graduate Studies may approve a petition to postpone the required conference attendance by one semester, as long as the GTA's department provides interim training.
If you think you may not be able to attend the session you are assigned to, please notify your department immediately. Failure to complete all components of the mandatory training will make a student ineligible to hold any GTA appointment during that semester or in the future. Department Chairs wishing to submit a petition on behalf of a new GTA should contact Amber Roberts Graham for more information.