Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards
2020 deadline information will be available soon.
The Office of Graduate Studies invites nominations for the Chancellor, Carlin and Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award to recognize excellence in teaching by graduate students at the University of Kansas. Awardees receive monetary prizes and are recognized at the Graduate Student Award Ceremony. The Chancellor and the KU Endowment Association generously provide funding for these awards.
Each nominee must be a graduate student:
- in good academic standing during the semester of teaching for which he/she is nominated;
- has completed at least one semester of teaching; and
- is teaching in either a laboratory or classroom during the current academic year
GTA Awards are given to graduate students who have demonstrated outstanding professional interaction with students and faculty during tenure as GTAs. Excellence in teaching should be demonstrated in course evaluations and in written comments from students and faculty. Nominees will be evaluated on these criteria:
- Strength of the letters of recommendation from faculty and/or students
- Strength of the student evaluations (both quantitative and qualitative)
- Depth and level of teaching experience
- The nominee’s statement of teaching philosophy
- Specific qualities that distinguish the nominee from other good teachers
Nominations must be made by the nominee’s department or program. Departments/programs may nominate no more than two (2) graduate teaching assistants. Nominations will be made using this form. Inclusion of undergraduate student feedback as part of the submission is encouraged. Each completed nomination should be submitted using the form below, by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 26, 2019. Nominations must be submitted electronically; no paper nominations will be accepted. Please contact Graduate Studies at 864-8040 if you have any questions.