Summer Research Scholarship
Graduate Studies provides funding to assist graduate students with conducting their thesis and dissertation research projects during the summer session. This funding is to support students who do not hold KU employment during the summer. This scholarship is not intended to be used for recruiting new students to KU.
The Nomination Deadline is April 1, 2022, 5:00PM CDT.
Any KU graduate student who meets all of the following criteria is eligible to be nominated:
- is in good academic standing;
- has not received funding previously through the Summer Research Scholarship (SRS).
- is not appointed as a GRA/GTA/GA during the summer semester
Nomination & Selection Process
Nominations are reviewed and awarded each spring by Graduate Studies. Each department may nominate up to two students who would benefit from summer support. Nominations must be submitted electronically by 5:00 PM CDT on April 1st to be eligible for funding in summer 2022. Nominations must be submitted using the online form. No exceptions will be made.
Preference will be given to a) doctoral students who will have completed their comprehensive exam prior to the nomination deadline and b) students from an under-represented student population.
It is expected that the summer research scholarship will be the student's primary form of financial support during the summer. Students are not eligible to receive SRS funding if they accept a GTA/GRA/GA appointment concurrent with the award.
Directors of Graduate Study or Graduate Coordinators/Graduate Staff can submit a nomination by completing the online nomination form. The nomination will require three attachments, to be uploaded as PDF files:
- A nomination statement or recommendation by the student’s department preferably from their Graduate Advisor or Director of Graduate Studies;
- A clearly stated proposal from the student (one page) with specific details of their research/progress plan for the summer; and
- Student's curriculum vitae or resume.
Nominators will receive a system confirmation that their nomination was successfully submitted upon completion of the online form.
While the time required to process award decisions will depend upon the number of applications received, we aim to notify all nominators and graduate students via email by Friday, April 30th.
Administration of the Award
- Awardees will receive a $5000 scholarship applied directly to their KU account prior to their summer tuition bill coming due.
- Awardees must be enrolled in the spring semester for their award to post to their account.
- Awardees must send a thank you letter to the donor responsible for their award (donor information will be provided in notification email).
Note: Students who meet the early summer graduation deadline are not eligible to receive this award.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.