Summer Research Scholarship
Graduate Studies provides funding to assist graduate students with conducting their thesis and dissertation research projects during the summer session. This funding is to support students who do not hold KU employment during the summer. Recipients must submit a research proposal showing how the funding award will accelerate their time to degree completion. If awarded, recipients must also send a donor thank you letter during the summer and submit a two-page discussion (by 1 September) of the research insights or outcomes achieved as a result of the summer funding. This scholarship is not intended to be used for recruiting new students to KU.
The Nomination Deadline is April 18, 2021.
Any KU graduate student who meets all of the following criteria is eligible to be nominated:
- Is in good academic standing;
- Enrolled in at least one hour for the summer session;
- Has not received funding previously through the Summer Research Scholarship (SRS).
Nomination & Selection Process
Nominations are reviewed and awarded each spring by Graduate Studies. Each department may nominate up to two students who would benefit from summer support. Nominations must be submitted electronically by midnight on April 18th to be eligible for funding in summer 2021. Nominations must be submitted using the online form. No exceptions will be made.
Preference will be given to a.) doctoral students who will have completed their comprehensive exam prior to the nomination deadline and b.) students from an under-represented student group.
Enrollment in the 2021 summer session is required. It is expected that the summer research scholarship will be the student's primary form of financial support during the summer. Students are not eligible to receive SRS funding if they accept a GTA/GRA/GA appointment concurrent with the award.
Departmental Graduate Directors or Coordinators can submit a nomination by completing the online nomination form. The nomination will require three attachments, to be uploaded as either Word or PDF files:
- A nomination statement or recommendation by the student’s department preferrably from their Graduate Advisor or Director of Graduate Study;
- A clearly stated proposal from the student (one page) with specific details of their research plan; and
- Student's curriculum vitae or resume.
Nominators will receive a system confirmation that their nomination was successfully submitted upon completion of the online form. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
While the time required to process award decisions will depend upon the number of applications received, we aim to notify all nominators and graduate students via email by Friday, April 30th.
Administration of the Award
- Awardees will receive a $5,000 Scholarship applied directly to their KU account prior to their summer tuition bill coming due.
- Awardees must be enrolled in the summer for their award to post to their account.
- Awardees must send a thank you letter to the donor responsible for their award (donor information will be provided in notification email).
Note: Students who meet the early summer graduation deadline are not eligible to receive this award.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.