Doctoral Student Research Fund
This application is closed.
The Doctoral Student Research Fund is designed to support KU doctoral students on the Lawrence Campus who need assistance to carry out research that advances progress toward the degree. A doctoral student is eligible to apply for up to two awards during their graduate program, one before doctoral candidacy (up to $1500) and one as a candidate (up to $2000). Funds are extremely limited. Only qualified applications submitted within the 1-week window provided will be considered for funding. Qualified applications will be considered in the order that they are received. In the past, funds have only been available for around the first 20 qualified applicants who apply each semester, which typically occurs within the first two hours of the application opening.
1. KU doctoral student.
2. Attending the Lawrence Campus.
3. Needs assistance to carry out research that advances progress toward the degree.
4. The proposed activity must be central to the student's doctoral studies and serve to contribute directly to the student's degree.
1. Submit the online application. Only applications using this form will be accepted.
2. Attach a Research Proposal that is no longer than five pages total and written to a general audience.
3. Attach a completed Budget Form outlining research expenses in detail.
4. Include the name of your Faculty Advisor, if you are selected for funding your advisor will be contacted by Graduate Studies for a letter of support before your funding can be finalized.
1. Funds are distributed to awardees as reimbursements for expenses outlined on the student's approved budget.
2. All materials must be consumed during the course of the research project. Supplies and equipment, if not possible to charge to a department or a research grant must be consumed during the course of the project. Computers and any hardware are not allowable expenses.
5. Travel expenses in connection to research maybe be covered by this fund. These expenses must include a justification and a day-to-day or week-to-week schedule of specific research plans, this is to be included as a part of your Research Proposal.
6. The student's department will assume responsibility for working with the student to file receipts of expenses.
7. Only expenses on the approved budget are eligible for reimbursement. Budget adjustment can be made but only with the approval of The Office of Graduate Studies
8. Funding cannot be used as salary for graduate students, undergraduate research assistants, or others helping with the project.
9. Requests for funds to present research or to attend training will not be considered.
1. Applicants will receive notification of award no less than two weeks after the close of the application.
2. Funding must be used within 12 months of the date of receiving an award letter.
Any questions or concerns please contact the Office of Graduate Studies.