Graduate Scholarly Presentation Travel Fund
Funded jointly by Office of Graduate Studies and the Office of Research.
The Graduate Scholarly Presentation Travel Fund is for KU Lawrence or Edwards Campus graduate students presenting their research or the disciplinary equivalent at a meeting of a learned or professional society. Applications must be submitted in advance of expected departure. A one page copy of the abstract must accompany the application form. The student must also show proof that they have been accepted for presentation. Reimbursements of up to $500 are made for domestic or international travel expenses. Students must turn in receipts to their department or program's representative to claim the funds. Allocations are limited to one per applicant during their time at the University of Kansas. Normally, graduate students who receive assistance from the Graduate Scholarly Presentation Travel Fund will be expected to be enrolled in at least half-time (or equivalent) status for the semester/summer session that travel is planned (See chart below for half-time status and equivalent half-time status.). Self Graduate Fellows are precluded from this award, Self Fellows needing funds to travel should contact the Self Graduate Fellowship Office.
Guidelines for Award
- Complete application, along with a one-page abstract and a proof of acceptance, must be received at the Office of Graduate Studies, before the date of the meeting. Awards will be processed on a routine basis, first-come/first-served until funds are exhausted. Late applications, with letter of explanation attached, will only be considered if serious extenuating circumstances made it impossible to comply with due dates.
- The purpose must be to present research or disciplinary equivalent at a national or regional meeting of a learned or professional organization held out-of-state.
- Individuals must be certifiable as at least half-time students at the time of travel. (See chart and exception guidelines below; enrollment is required during time of travel.)
- There is a limit of up to $500 for a one-time award per applicant.
- The notification e-mail will include detailed regulations on how to use the award.
- Emergency medical insurance is covered by KU through Worldwide Assistance.
- Complete the application and upload proof of acceptance, and one-page abstract.
- Award funds must be either used or encumbered before the end of the fiscal year.
- Upload proof of acceptance, and one-page abstract in either PDF, DOC, or DOCX formats
See the chart below for half-time status and equivalent half-time status:
|Fall/Spring Half-Time Status|
|Enrolled in 6 credit hours
5 hours plus 10% time Teaching or Research Assistant
4 hours plus 20% time Teaching or Research Assistant
3 hours plus 25% time Teaching or Research Assistant
|Summer Half-Time Status|
|Enrolled in 1 credit hour|
Exceptions may be granted to individuals who are not considered to be half-time students, using the following guidelines:
- Graduate students working on dissertations, master's theses or major research projects that have been developed into a paper for a national conference.
- Doctoral students who have already completed the required hours of post-comprehensive enrollment and are enrolled in at least one credit hour
- Graduate students attending a summer conference not enrolled in summer but will be enrolled in fall.
When requesting an exception to the hours-of-enrollment eligibility criterion, a graduate student must submit a brief letter endorsed by the chair or the graduate director of the department, with details on why the applicant should be granted an exception.
Requests for exceptions must be attached to the application.
Any questions or concerns please contact the Office of Graduate Studies using the information below:
Office of Graduate Studies
213 Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045