Doctoral Student Research Fund
This application will open at 9am on January 23rd and close at 5pm, January 30th.
The Doctoral Student Research Fund is designed to support KU doctoral students on the Lawrence Campus who need assistance to carry out research that advances progress toward the degree. A doctoral student is eligible to apply for up to two awards during their graduate program, one before doctoral candidacy (up to $1500) and one as a candidate (up to $2000).
1. KU doctoral student.
2. Attending the Lawrence Campus.
3. Needs assistance to carry out research that advances progress toward the degree.
4. The proposed activity must be central to the student's doctoral studies and serve to contribute directly to the student's degree.
1. Submit the online application
2. Attach a Research Proposal that is no longer than five pages and written to a general audience.
3. Attach a completed Budget Form outlining research expenses.
4. Faculty Advisor/Recommender will be required to send a letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org within two weeks of the close of the application.
All applications must be submitted through the Graduate Studies Website. Paper submissions will not be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
1. Funds are distributed to awardees as a reimbursement for expenses outlined on the.
2. All materials must be consumed during the course of the research project.
3. Supplies, material, equipment, if not possible to charge to a department or a research grant. Laboratory supplies must be consumed in the course of the project.
4. Research related expenses (e.g., subject fees, access to specialized data sets, purchase of archival materials or images,)
5. Travel expenses in connection with research (requests for travel expenses must include a justification of the need to travel and a day-to-day or week-to-week schedule of specific research plans).
6. The student's department will assume responsibility for working with the student to file receipts of expenses
7. Only expenses on the approved budget are eligible for reimbursement.
8. Computers and computer hardware are not allowable expenses.
9. Funding cannot be used as salary for graduate students, undergraduate research assistants, or others helping with the project.
10. Requests for funds to travel to professional meetings will not be considered.
1. Applicants will receive notification of award no less than two weeks after the close of the application.
2. Funding must be used within 12 months of the date of receiving an award letter.
Any questions or concerns please contact the Office of Graduate Studies.