Living in Lawrence
Lawrence is a wonderful place to live with many amenities and housing options.
From modern, furnished apartments to historic homes, on-campus and off-campus housing, single-family homes and cooperative housing communities, there are many different ways to make your home on The Hill. Lawrence also has a few shopping districts and grocery options for all your needs!
Graduate students are welcome to live in a number of residence halls.
Visit the KU Student Housing website for more information about residence halls.
KU also has two on-campus apartment buildings where most grad students who live on campus reside:
Lawrence offers a number of different housing options including student-focused apartment complexes, single-family homes, and cooperative housing communities. There are many options and we encourage incoming students to begin their search with the KU Grad Housing Guide from VeryApt which provides reviews from KU grad students, unit costs, amenities, and tips.
Shopping & Entertainment
Massachusetts Street (Downtown Lawrence): Generally called “Mass Street,” this is one of the main shopping, entertainment, and dining hubs in Lawrence. A historic district, Mass Street is home to casual and fine dining, locally-owned and national retail shops, and numerous bars and entertainment/music venues. Explore the street on your own, or check out Unmistakably Lawrence for details on everything Mass Street has to offer.
We also have Final Fridays here - where many stores become mini art galleries. Info on Final Fridays can be found on the Unmistakably Lawrence website.
South Iowa Street: Located near 31st Street South and Iowa Street, this district holds a number of “big box” stores (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Menards, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc), as well as restaurants and a movie theatre.
West 6th Street between Kasold and Wakarusa Streets: Home to the newest shopping district in Lawrence, there are a number of stores, restaurants, and shopping options here.
Ask grad students and faculty for recommendations outside of these three areas!
Grocery Stores, Farmers Markets, and International Food Markets
Lawrence has a number of grocery stores, farmers markets, and international food markets. Here are a few of the most popular:
- Dillon’s - this is a regional grocery store chain with 4 locations in Lawrence. Make sure to get a Dillon’s card to receive fuel points and discounts.
- Hy-Vee - also a regional grocery chain with one location in West Lawrence at 23rd and Kasold Street. Hy-Vee also has a fuel points card.
- Checker’s - at 23rd and Louisiana Street, this is a discount (and awesome!) grocery store with a great selection of international foods and ingredients.
- The Merc - a community-owned cooperative grocery store with a hot bar and juice/coffee bar located on the corner of Iowa Street and 9th Street.
- Aldi - international discount supermarket chain located on South Iowa street. Like Checker’s, it has a good selection of international foods and ingredients.
- Mediterranean Market and Cafe - located at 15th and Kasold contains a small market with products from Greece, the Middle East, Italy, India, and Pakistan.
- F Mart - an Asian grocery store in East Lawrence.
- La Estrella - Mexican market and cafe located on 23rd Street
- Lawrence Farmers’ Market - Saturday mornings at 824 New Hampshire Street