The Doctoral Student Research Fund (DSRF) is designed to support KU doctoral students on the Lawrence/Edwards Campus who need assistance to carry out research that advances progress toward the degree. Funds are limited, with an average of only 16 awards per semester. A doctoral student is eligible to receive one (1) award in the amount of $1,500 during their doctoral career.
The Spring 2022 application opens on Thursday, February 10th and closes at 11:59 PM on Wednesday, February 23rd.
Awardees will be notified by Tuesday, March 1st.
Any KU doctoral student who meets all of the following criteria is eligible to apply:
- Is in good academic standing.
- Enrolled in a Lawrence/Edwards-based degree plan.
- Has passed the comprehensive exam prior to the application deadline.
- Is requesting funding to conduct research that will contribute directly toward the completion of the doctoral degree.
- Has not received funding previously through the DSRF.
- Travel-related expenses (e.g., airfare, ground transportation, lodging)
- Supplies and equipment, including software
- Expenses related to archival work (e.g., printing costs)
- Expenses related to survey research
- Incentives for research participants
- Per diems
- Gift cards (e.g., to provide incentives to research participants)
- Computers and related hardware
- Conference attendance, whether or not the student is presenting research
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
The application portal will open on February 10th and remain open for two weeks, closing at 11:59 PM on February 23rd. Award recipients will be notified on March 1st. All applications submitted during this time period will be added to a pool, from which winners will be selected at random. In the event a selected winner is not eligible, another will be drawn at random.
The application form may be accessed here.
Applications must be submitted using this online form. No exceptions will be made. Students are strongly encouraged to apply early so that we may assist with any technical difficulties.
Students should be prepared to provide/upload the following:
- One-page abstract in PDF format describing the research project. If your abstract is not in PDF format you may experience technical difficulties uploading the form.
- A signed statement of support from your primary faculty advisor using this form. Please do not submit letters of recommendation as these will in no way impact the award decision.
- Detailed information about the anticipated research expenses for which you are requesting funding, including cost estimate and justification based on the research objectives.
- Start and end dates of travel and a basic schedule of research activities, if applicable.
Applicants will receive a system confirmation that their application was successfully submitted upon completion of the application.
All applicants will be notified via email by March 1st. Please do not contact Graduate Studies to inquire about your application prior to this date, as we will have no information to provide.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE AWARD
Students will be reimbursed for expenses up to $1500.
If awarded, recipients must submit a two-page discussion of the research insights or outcomes achieved as a result of this funding by May 31st, 2022.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.